Site produced by - The Celtic Cross Ministry Inc. 2009 / 2017 - using Serif Web Plus x8 software - All Rights © and Reserved by Permission Only
Feathered Quill Periodical
Page # 6
Sacred Order of Exorcists
~ Insights to the Supernatural ~
Searching the Lake Erie Shoreline
The symbol many people have come to identify with Lorain is the Lorain Lighthouse. Its image has been reproduced thousands of times in photographs, scale models, paintings, postcards, sweatshirts, logos, pins, needlework projects, posters, the covers of the Lorain County phone book, the 1990 state map of Ohio, etc. Standing at the north end of the West Harbor Breakwater in Lorain Harbor, its light is no longer lit, its fog horn no longer sounds, but it remains a silent reminder of Lorain’s historic relationship with Lake Erie shipping.
Lorain’s first "light" was a simple lantern hanging on a pole at the water’s edge. The first "light station", a wooden structure, was established in 1837 at the end of the West River Pier. Its beam was powered by lard oil, then later by kerosene. In the next 80 years, Lorain’s light was rebuilt at least twice, with continuing repairs to the walkway to the light, until the outer harbor West Breakwater was completed in 1908.
The "beacon building" that was installed in 1898 saw Lorain’s first lighthouse keeper, James Connolly, on duty starting in 1899. Connolly served until 1903 with one assistant. As time went by the kerosene light was replaced by an "oil vapor light".
Many dates are given for when the Lighthouse we see today was built an article from the Lorain Journal, September 23, 1953 indicates 1898, with the title, "Lorain’s Lighthouse in 55th Year of Duty", but that date isn’t close. Most sources give 1909 as the date, but the blueprint for the current structure is dated 1916. Information from the Lighthouse Board in the National Archives states: "On June 30, 1917, the concrete structure had been erected, roof completed except shingling, metal work of lantern erected, and concrete forms removed. Temporary light in commission shone from new lantern. It is expected to install permanent light this season and place fog horn commission early next season." Also, an act of October 22, 1913 appropriated $35,000 for a light and fog station at Lorain Harbor. Thus the date 1917 is the most accurate available for the construction of the current Lorain Lighthouse structure.
The Lorain Lighthouse was built with poured concrete and steel walls that were over ten inches thick. The concrete structure included door jams, baseboards and window frames made of steel. In 1932 an electric light was installed. The lighthouse’s rotating beam projected fifteen miles out over the lake waters by means of a "fresnel" lens. This type of lens was invented by Frenchman, Jean Augustin Fresnel. The lens consisted of a large glass cylinder with mirrors that refracted parallel beams of light. The 50,000 candle power beacon was located 58 feet above Lake Erie. The beam flashed in the direction of the observer every ten seconds and its range was about 15 miles.
The ghost is that of a man that supposedly haunts this lighthouse and was seen many of times by workers and patrons. He was of a worker who was entombed under the lighthouse. He died supposedly from a cave in when construction began and they left him there buried under the rock as it was too much to try to unbury him. He is seen walking the grounds and in the lighthouse itself working away in death still not knowing that he has passed away.
Well thats the ones I know about and have heard of. As always, tell all the ships at sea "Happy Haunting"!!!!
Story by; Christopher (creed22770)
Well, Fairport Harbor may have a ghost. But it isn't going to do much more than give you a gentle startling while you peruse the lighthouse and museum. It seems the thing creeping around in the dark is smaller than you might think.
During the early half of the nineteenth century, 120 miles of southern shoreline of Lake Erie attracted settlers making their way to Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin and other states. One of the places many of the cargo ships stopped for restocking was the busy Fairport Harbor along the mouth of the Grand River.
The Fairport Harbor Lighthouse was built on the west pier of bricks in 1825 to guard this gateway of new opportunities along the coast. Samuel Butler was the first keeper of Fairport Harbor Lighthouse and was an active abolitionist. Not only was it a safety harbor for those ships traveling along the shoreline, it also provided sanctuary for slaves making their way to Canada before and during the civil war. But, by 1868, the lighthouse was falling into ruin. It was rebuilt in 1870.
It was not until August of 1871, when Captain Joseph Babcock came to be head keeper of the lighthouse, the ghost story comes to life. During this time of Captain Joseph Babcock's term, his wife and family kept several cats in the living quarters which is now the museum. Missus Babcock was ill for some time and found great comfort in the cats' presence. For years, volunteers and curators at the museum have seen what they described as a ghostly cat playing in the museum. Whether others believed the story or not, it was difficult to deny there might be some truth to the story - during the installation of a new air conditioning system, the mummified remains of a cat was discovered between the walls. For how long it has been there, remains a mystery. It is believed to be one of the cats from the previous residents of the lighthouse!
Not every lighthouse can boast they have the mummified remains of their ghost! And it is a sure-hit with the kids and adults too.
Story by; Ohio Ghost Hunter Guide
Fairport Harbor Lighthouse
Ghost ship on the Black River in Lorain, Ohio
With a melodious name
like Fairport Harbor,
you wouldn't think there would be any
bloodcurdling ghosties or goulies creeping up out
of the Lake Erie waters
into this small town.
The town is as peaceful and cozy as the name implies. Of course, isn't that always the case for every horror movie
playing out along a coastline?
You have a pretty,
little village with friendly people and snug little harbor to boot, and in comes a fog or zombies
or some other spirit to shake things up a bit.
Sacred Order of Exorcists
~ Insights to the Supernatural ~